This article focuses on :
- Cytokine release syndrome(CRS)
Detailed summary :
Cytokine release syndrome(CRS)
- Causes ARDS,myocarditis,myocardial injury and multiorgan dysfunction syndrome (MODS)
- Onset : tocilizumab(anti IL-6)
- Corticosteroids are used to stop cytokine release.
- Lymphocytes release cytokines. So the lymphocyte trend is tracked by doing CBC twice a day.
- Methylprednisolone 1 mg/kg ODx3 to 5days is administered at a point when lymphocytopenia turns into lymphocytosis to preempt the cytokine storm,MODS and crashing.
- Steroids used in septic shock, acute exacerbation of asthma and COPD.
- CBC should be done 6hrly to pick up the lymphocytosis early.
- Monitoring IL-6 is ideal and then using its antagonist tocilizumab